Launch: Buzbee’s. Launch Cost: $3. Route: This was a club paddle (Mobile Bay Canoe and Kayak Club) led by Juli through Bay Minette Basin up into Yancy Bay. Distance: 4.8 miles. Average Speed: 2.7 mph. Time: Approx 2 hrs. Pace: Leisurely. Weather: Hot, partly cloudy, breezy winds out of the southwest, little in way of tide or current effects. Thunderstorms were off in the distance.
(1) Above left. Paddle participants eagerly waiting to get started. (2) Above right. As we headed west, Harriet pointed out that the land shown in the background of this photo could soon be a thing of the past. This tree line may be replaced by a multi-story condominium.
(3) Above left. Harriet to the left and Juli to the right stay close to the west shoreline keeping us out of the wind. We enjoyed pleasant kayaking conditions. (4) Above right. Over a dozen kayakers came out on this beautiful day. There were a few cardinal flowers blooming along the shoreline.
(5) Above left. A single tree grows out in the water, a survivor of several recent hurricanes. (6) Above right. We had participants come all the way from Gulf Shores to go on this trip. Check out the front passenger.
(7) Above left. The dog wasn’t paying much attention to the scenery. The heat of the day was starting to dehydrate it. The kayak captain had to turn around and to get the dog in some shade. (8) Above right. The group heads north up Yancy Bay.
(9) Above left. Eventually, Yancy Bay narrows down to the point of having to turn around and go back. (10) Above right. Clouds provided a nice backdrop on the return trip. A good time was enjoyed by all. Thanks for leading the trip Juli!