Launch: Club paddle starting at Cliffs Landing in Baldwin County off Hwy 225. Launch Fee: Free. Route: North about 2.5 miles on the Tensaw River, then split right into Dennis Lake, then take the second tributary (Dennis Creek) to the right then back to the launch site. Distance: 11.2 miles round trip. Average Speed: 3.0 mph. Time: Approx 4 hrs. Pace: Leisurely. Weather: Just about perfect weather for kayaking.
(1) Above left. Jan pedaling his new Hobie Outback on the slick waters of the Tensaw River as he passes close to some seagulls on a log. Jan was quite thrilled with the new kayak that allows you to work the leg muscles or the arm muscles. (2) Above right. Jan looks at an alligator on the river bank. The alligator saw us and slowly started to slither into the waters.
(3) Above left. David glides close to the shoreline in his paddle kayak. The pedal kayaks were limited to pedaling away from the banks to avoid hitting stumps with the underwater pedal boat flippers. (4) Above right. We enjoyed the slick waters that mirrored the deep greens that are soon to be gone until next spring.
(5) Above left. Everyone got their turn to lead and enjoy the smooth scenery. Eventually pedal boats were forced to remove the pedal drive unit (it takes 20 seconds) and use paddles. (6) Above right. We took a short break and enjoyed some of Jan’s home grown satsumas while sitting on the bank in the narrow upper reaches of Dennis Creek. We had a deadline to keep in terms of turn around time in order to get back before dark, so it was back into the kayaks we went.
(7) Above left. The eerie bases of cypress trees looked back at us with sideways glances in the mirrored surfaces. Others say the bases remind them of harmonicas. What do you see when looking at this photo? Turn your head 90 degrees to the right and look again. (8) Above right. David takes a photo of the headless looking pelican. The pelican’s head, twisted 180 degrees, was tucked under its back wings and must have been in a deep sleep because it never moved as we passed closely by.
(9) Above left. David on the left, Jan on the right, on the open waters of the Tensaw River, headed back to the launch site. (10) Above right. We returned to the launch site and shortly after we got the kayaks loaded up, the sun set. What a nice ending to a enjoyable kayak trip.